[Gnuk-users] Useful case(s) of Gnuk Token

NIIBE Yutaka gniibe at fsij.org
Fri Dec 19 01:07:48 UTC 2014

When we discuss pros and cons of Gnuk Token, we tend to talk about
some specific details.  But, today, I would like to focus on casual
users' point of view.

I think that most useful case is something like this...

Suppose a SSH user (OpenSSH or Putty) who has a desktop computer and
notebook computer wants to access remote host(s) from both computers.
Then, he can do it easily and securely with Gnuk Token, by sharing his
single private key among computers.

Not sharing private key among computers but having each private key on
each computer and registering his all public keys to remote host(s) is
another way.  But this option increases difficulty of key management
and assessment.

A good user would be uneasy when he makes copies of his private key
file, and installs this into another computer.

Gnuk Token can be considered as a portable private key holder.  In
this use case, the user doesn't need to copy his private key file nor
his public key file.

Any comments?