[Gnuk-users] Gnuk and possible hardware vulnerability

NIIBE Yutaka gniibe at fsij.org
Wed Aug 23 05:52:02 UTC 2017

NIIBE Yutaka <gniibe at fsij.org> wrote:
> For a particular version of STM32F0, I was informed that there is an
> effective exploit of 2017 for (3), and possibility of (2).

I think that this is the talk of that exploit.

    Shedding too much Light on a Microcontroller's Firmware Protection
    Johannes Obermaier and Stefan Tatschner, Fraunhofer Institute AISEC
    https://www.usenix.org/conference/woot17/workshop-program/presentation/obermaier

I also have heard of "service" to copy an instance of MCU; reading out
content of flash ROM and installing into another MCU.  I don't know if
this is possible for STM32F103 (breaking the protection).  In this
particular case, KDF of Gnuk includes MCU unique ID so that different
unique ID causes different result.