[gopher] RFC: Selector/item type 'R' -- RoarAudio server

Philipp Schafft lion at lion.leolix.org
Thu Apr 28 10:43:13 UTC 2011

reflum,

On Tue, 2011-04-26 at 21:25 -0700, Cameron Kaiser wrote:
> > I ask for comments about using a new selector/item type 'R' for
> > RoarAudio servers. Here is what I would use it for and how:
> >
> > Host and Port would be to be used like libroar does: Host/IP + Port for
> > INET and INET6, Host as Path and Port set to zero for UNIX, Host set to
> > node with '::' suffix and Port to Objectnumber for numerical DECnet
> > objects, Host set to node + '::' + object and Port set to zero for named
> > DECnet objects.
>
> Can you give a for-example of a "proposed working" selector, or do you have
> a client that understands R itemtype for playing with?

No client yet (first the specs, then the client!).

Examples include:
/
        Tell the client about the existance of the server. May be used
        depending on the type of client: Open a control program, send
        config parameters to a player or recording program to let it use
        this server, print general data about the server with a menu to
        select a action,...
/listen, /listen/*/*/*/*/*
        Ask the client to listen to music passing the server, optinally
        with parameters.
/play, /play/...
        Ask the client to send audio data to the server: configure a
        player to send to this server. Optionally with parameters.
/cmd/noop
        Send a NOOP command (ping the server).
/cmd/server_info/server, /cmd/server_info/server/contact
        Ask the server for version and other meta data. Optionally with
        more parameters for the command.
/clients, /clients/*
        Show infos about clients or a single client.
/streams, /streams/*
        Show infos about streams or a single stream.

/clients/* and /streams/*
        May also be used as reference to related (parrent, child,...)
        objects.

The selectors would be organized in namespaces like /cmd/ to send a
specific command, or /streams/ for pointing to specific streams.

--
Philipp.
 (Rah of PH2)