[gopher] Gophernicus 1.2-beta & virtual hosting

Walter Vermeir walter at wikizine.org
Tue Sep 13 23:53:16 UTC 2011

Hi,

I have a support question about Gophernicus - hope that is allowed here;

Setup;
Ubuntu 10.04 LTS & gophernicus 1.2
dynamic ip
use xinetd

the server works, root is served from /var/gopher
User gopherspace also fine

But virtual hosting is no-go until now.

vermeir.dyndns.org points to my dynamic ip and serves /var/gopher
gopher.wikizine.org is by CNAME pointed at vermeir.dyndns.org

And now that also serves /var/gopher

A directory named "gopher.wikizine.org" is created,  the symbol % is placed
in gophermap.
But it does not serve it as a virtual host and it is also not listed as one.

from syslog;

Sep 13 23:32:27 gopherserverubuntu in.gophernicus: disabling vhosting:
/var/gopher/gopherserverubuntu must exist

/var/gopher does exist
"gopherserverubuntu" is the name of the server.  But to make sure, I have
also made a directory with that name, no change.

Clearly I must be doing something wrong. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Walter