[gopher] Thunderbird; add "gopher://" to list of the list of recognized protocols when displaying emails / usenet messages

Walter Vermeir walter at wikipedia.be
Sun Sep 25 13:51:24 UTC 2011

Op 25-09-11 15:24, Jacob Dahl Pind schreef:
> is fun they quote security as the reason why gopher:// is removed but
> http/ftp is still there, one would think if it really was out of
> security concerns http, ftp, anything but pure ascii text would have
> been ban, and oh, it should probabilly ignore any user input as those
> users are a real security issue. :)

Yes, I was also wondering about what the "security risk" could be.

As a non-programmer I would think there are 2 possible outcomes if you
click on a Gopher link;

- the OS complains that it does not know what to do with it (most likely
event)
- the Gopher site opens in the default gopher client.

What I do appreciate is that person who closed it tiik the time to
look-up and refer to older bugs about Gopher, about the removal of
gopher from Firefox, what is interesting reading.

Walter

--
Wikizine.org - community newsletter - It keeps coming back!
gopher://gopher.wikizine.org - http://www.wikizine.org