[gopher] Updated Gopher RFC

wesleyteal at gmail.com wesleyteal at gmail.com
Tue May 8 18:27:51 UTC 2012

On May 8, 2012, at 11:22 AM, Damien Carol <damien.carol at gmail.com> wrote:

> It's my proposal : to have generic types :
>
> Old one
>
> My Proposal
>
> Name
>
> Description
>
> 1
>
> 1
>
> MENU
>
> Menu
>
> 0
>
> 0
>
> TEXT
>
> Small text file, render directly in browser in easy way
>
> 3
>
> 3
>
> ERROR
>
> Tell client that result is KO
>
> 7
>
> 7
>
> INDEX / PROGRAMS
>
> You now it
>
> 9
>
> 9
>
> BINARY
>
> Binary, generic one
>

> 5
>
> 5
>
> ARCHIVE
>
> Binary but check it as ARCHIVE (zip, rar, etc…)
>
> g, P, I

> Image File
>
> Binary but check it as IMAGE (JPG, GIF, BMP, etc…)
>
> ;

> Video File
>
> Binary but check it as VIDEO (AVI, MKV, etc….)

> Audio File
>
> Binary but check it as AUDIO (WAV, mp3, etc…)

> Document Text File
>
> Binary but check it as TEXT (Plain, Word, ODF, etc…)

> EXTERNAL URL
>
> Check the selector for "URL:"

My problem with using 'V' for ';' and other switches is that although they may be more intuitive they also will require altering clients to resupport extensions they already support for no particular reason. I think ';' is a dumb designation but it already works. I see no reason to make Cameron recode the various versions of Overbite or to have the Lynx folks change their browser because we chose to break with established practice on a whim.