[gopher] Throttling gopher daemon is desirable

dave at 661.org dave at 661.org
Tue Jun 18 04:31:22 UTC 2013

I figure there hasn't been much call for throttling functionality for
gopher daemons.  Today it would have been much appreciated.  Could I
convince someone to add a throttle to pygopherd?  I lack the savvy with
Python to do it myself.  And now, here's why I bring this up.

Over a three day period spanning June 16, 17, and 18 of 2013 (UTC),
someone attempted and probably suceeded in downloading the entirety of the
Interactive Fiction Archive from gopher.feedle.net.  This caused a massive
spike in outbound network traffic that has probably cost some money.  I'm
not sure yet how much.  We have the logs and are looking into tracking
down who did it.  I'll probably post snippets of the logs later.

--
David Griffith
dave at 661.org