[gopher] Throttling gopher daemon is desirable

Kim Holviala kim at holviala.com
Fri Jun 21 19:03:40 UTC 2013

On Jun 21, 2013, at 21:06, Jeff W <simple at sdf.lonestar.org> wrote:

> dave at 661.org wrote:
>> I figure there hasn't been much call for throttling functionality for
>> gopher daemons.  Today it would have been much appreciated.
>
> WRT your recent experience, was it by chance someone at *.rr.com ?  I've
> seen quite a bit of traffic from that domain recently.

Even though I implemented throttling in Gophernicus I really don't see why we should actually use that? In the site I'm running for living we're getting about 3000 requests per second, and those are served with normal hardware any one of us could buy. So, requesting 10s of thousands of gopher resources shouldn't really tax anyone that hard especially since all the Gopher daemons I know are really lightweight.

- Kim