[gopher] Announcement - Gopher Browser for Windows v1.1

Matt Owen (Jaruzel) jaruzel at jaruzel.com
Wed Apr 26 23:13:28 UTC 2017

In article <E1d3VfH-0007yr-8O at moszumanska.debian.org>,
kevin at veroneau.net says...

>Looks pretty good.  From the screenshots I take it that each item type opens up
>in it's own window.  I like that there is now a number of choices for Gopher on
>windows given the recent fate of the Overbite add-on in the modern HTTP browser.
>Sometimes I wish that Gopher clients did send a user-agent to better determine
>which clients people are using.

>I guess one of the biggest questions from any new client is, which item types
>does the client current handle?

It handles what Windows handles. In order it tries to do this:

1. Does the downloaded file have a known extension that Windows can handle? If so let the OS
pick the viewer.
2. Does the gopher item type map to a known Windows app? If so launch the required app with
the item as a param.
3. If all else fails, ask the user to pick a viewer app.

.txt and .gif/.jpg/.png are viewed internally.  You can override auto-viewing by right
clicking on the item and selecting 'download' in the resulting Properties dialog.

-Matt