[gopher] New console gopher client

John Magolske listmail at b79.net
Tue Aug 22 08:13:43 UTC 2017

Hi,

* Quentin Rameau <quinq at fifth.space> [170819 23:35]:
> I wanted to let you know you can try sacc (short for saccomys) if
> you're interested, a simple console gopher client.
> [...]
> You can find it at git://git.fifth.space/sacc (mirrored at the
> Bitreich project git://bitreich.org/sacc).

Looks nice! I've been searching for a text-mode client alternative
to the UMN Gopher client, have used Lynx and ELinks in their Gopher
capacity, but had issues with both of these...not recalling exactly
what at the moment, but sacc looks nice -- a simple program for a
simple protocol. I like that when going up & down the menus the
selection doesn't wrap. I typically have the key-repeat rate set high,
so holding down the up/down keys (or k/j keys) zooms to the top or
bottom of the menu and stop without endlessly cycling in circles. This
is something that always bugged me about the UMN Gopher client.

A few suggestions:

1. Provide option to specify the pager so sacc can for example point
to a custom-keyed Less with "h" as quit to continue with hjkl and
navigate out of some text I'm reading in the pager.

2. Avoid the [Press Enter to continue] when quitting the pager after
reading something. Just quit the pager and go straight back to the menu.

3. Some way to adjust test/menu highlight colors via the config file.

Thanks for putting this out there!

John

--
John Magolske