[gopher] Gophernicus 2.4 "Millennium Edition" released

Wolfgang Faust wolfgangmcq at gmail.com
Mon Feb 6 11:24:58 UTC 2017

The problem with checking the server's caps file is that it (at least
partially) defeats the purpose of TLS--an attacker can MITM the caps file
and force the connection to plaintext. (Of course, they could also have
done the same to the originating menu.)

Rather than using a specific port, why not use a prefix on the hostname?
Something like "TLS+example.com", which isn't a valid hostname because of
the symbol.

This does have historical precedent--when https was introduced, how did
they handle backward compatibility? (I'm young enough that I don't remember
this.)