[gopher] TLS situation in gopher [was: Re: Gophernicus 2.4 "Millennium Edition" released]

James Mills prologic at shortcircuit.net.au
Sun Feb 12 03:56:17 UTC 2017

I feel like there is a way to support TLS from the server-side whilst
remaining backwards compatible with non-TLS clients.

See:
http://blog.fourthbit.com/2014/12/23/traffic-analysis-of-an-ssl-slash-tls-session

If there is in fact a way to detect that a client is attempting a TLS
handshake or not and react accordingly from the server side (gophernicus,
cgod, prologic/go-gopher, pygopherd, etc) then we can make this work just
be using a well defined port: 73, 7070, something that we all agree on :)

cheers
James

James Mills / prologic

E: prologic at shortcircuit.net.au