[gopher] Gophernicus 2.4 "Millennium Edition" released

Matt Owen (Jaruzel) jaruzel at jaruzel.com
Mon Feb 13 09:26:57 UTC 2017

In article <o7rt7e$9uo$1 at blaine.gmane.org>, mateusz-hSUp8W
+IdYRwwlOqo6u1QA at public.gmane.org says...

>While I'm not interested in TLS support myself (truly don't see the
> point)

Nor me, but if it's going to happen anyway, I do want to help steer it to
some sort of sane standard.

>An SSL-enabled client would need to try resolving the TXT record attached
>to the server's hostname. If found, it would scan it. If the TXT record
>would contain something like this...
>
>  IN TXT      "GTLS:433"
>
>...it would know that it's possible to connect to the same host on port
>TCP/433 and expect an SSL layer there, and automatically switch the url
>to gophers://hostname:433

I like this idea - it has a lot of merit, however some cheap DNS registrars
don't allow TXT records.

However, a backup to this could be:

  gophers.<domain.name>

as a CNAME or A record.

Which a client could also query, and if it exists, uses that on the (IANA
approved) gopher-tls port.

-Matt