[gopher] Tor for Gopher

Christoph Lohmann 20h at r-36.net
Tue Feb 14 05:47:51 UTC 2017

Greetings comrades.

This ugly discussion of how to add TLS to gopher has lead to all kind of
extension proposals which look so ugly  I  wouldn’t  want  to  implement
them.  The CA system is broken and will not lead to any security. Do you
really trust Let’s Encrypt, when they issue certificates for everyone? I
don’t.

That  is the reason why I am proposing a simpler migration strategy: Let
us move all gopherholes to tor. Running a  hidden  service  requires  no
modification except for changing the internal links to the onion domain.
I do that at bitreich.org[0][1] by having a hidden service  pointing  to
port  70  but  the  redirect in the configuration is to a different port
which has geomyidae running with the argument ‐h hg6vgqziawt5s4dj.onion.
All menu entries in gph files pointing to »server« will be replaced with
that and you are kept in the tor network.

For clients it is simply: torify lynx gopher://hg6vgqziawt5s4dj.onion

I have started collecting onion gopherholes [2].

What  we  get: Security (hash in onion domain), anonymity (tor network),
moral superiority by supporting tor and their efforts

Sincerely,

Christoph Lohmann

[0] gopher://bitreich.org
[1] gopher://hg6vgqziawt5s4dj.onion
[2] gopher://hg6vgqziawt5s4dj.onion/1/lawn/onion