[gopher] OverbiteWX 0.2 beta

Cameron Kaiser spectre at floodgap.com
Wed Oct 4 02:26:35 UTC 2017

I decided to go with something simpler for the WebExtensions version of
Overbite. As before, since there is no WebExtension TCP socket API yet, this
directs to Floodgap as a proxy. I intend to open this up to other Gopher
proxies and make it selectable (there is a level of indirection in the
current simple implementation to facilitate this) in the short term, and
if/when Mozilla gets their butt out of^W^W^W^W^Wcreates a socket API, the
dispatch system can then transparently do the request since there is no way
we can implement the channel-based approach in OverbiteFF.

OverbiteWX requires Fx 56.0 or higher. You can get the test version here:

	gopher://gopher.floodgap.com/9/owx.xpi

You can type gopher:// URLs into the omnibox or click on a gopher:// URL.
The first time you do this, a confirmation appears showing the Gopher proxy
script. Select that (checking the box to remember the option if you like)
and continue. If you don't check the box, you will be given the choice each
time. The script will automatically be updated with improved logic as the
extension evolves.

It's not OverbiteFF, but at least it's something. I've tested it on macOS
and Windows in Fx56 and Fx57 beta. I would like to release it by the end of
next week, so please try it and report any issues. It's pretty much stupidly
simple so I can't imagine much would go wrong with it.