[hardening-discuss] Using hardening-wrapper but lintian warning still present

José Luis Segura Lucas josel.segura at gmx.es
Wed Jun 20 10:21:15 UTC 2012

Hi!

I'm intending to package a software for Debian. I have a Debian package
with some lintian warning about hardening, but I removed most of them
using hardening-wrapper and the env DEB_BUILD_HARDENING=1 in my
debian/rules.

I only have one lintian warning now: hardening-no-fortify-functions

I see that the -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2 is included in each compiler
execution. This is the output of hardening-check:

    $ hardening-check --verbose /usr/bin/grive
    /usr/bin/grive:
     Position Independent Executable: yes
     Stack protected: yes
     Fortify Source functions: no, only unprotected functions found!
        unprotected: memmove
        unprotected: read
        unprotected: memcpy
     Read-only relocations: yes
     Immediate binding: yes

I asked on debian-devel and they told me that I can add an override if
only memmove ormemcpy is shown, but I have an unprotected read too.

How can I avoid this warning? It is my last problem after doing the RFS...

Best regards and thanks in advance :-)

--
José Luis Segura Lucas