Defining the workgroup objectives

Gerrit Pape pape at gmn.smarden.org
Fri Aug 5 19:50:08 UTC 2005

On Fri, Aug 05, 2005 at 05:35:19PM +0200, Nikolaus Rath wrote:
> Gerrit Pape wrote:
> >On system boot all services are started up in parallel.  If services
> >depending on other services fail if the services they depend on are
> >not available, all is fine; due to the restart, they'll sort out
> >automatically.
>
> Does that mean that my system will permanently try to start all network
> daemons when I decide that I want to shutdown the network for a few minutes?

This would happen to all daemons that terminate while network is
temporarily down, and fail to startup again, yes.  This means that would
happen to all service daemons that, if you do it currently with
sysvinit, aren't available anymore after switching network on again, and
you manually need to restart.  If you don't have such a service, runit
wouldn't try to repeatedly restart anything.  If you by any chance add
such a service to the system, you'll find runit enabling it
automatically again after network is up again, while under sysvinit
you'll be surprised that the service is gone.

Regards, Gerrit.
--
Open projects at http://smarden.org/pape/.