Defining the workgroup objectives

martin f krafft madduck at debian.org
Tue Aug 9 14:23:40 UTC 2005

also sprach Sven Mueller <debian at incase.de> [2005.08.09.1558 +0200]:
> Hmm, are we trying to build a replacement for /sbin/init or just some
> supplement which starts most services after /sbin/init has done all the
> basic initialisation stuff (like mounting /usr)? If we want a
> replacement, we would have to go the compiled binary way (C or C++) and
> can't use perl or python. We could use shell however.

Since /sbin/init is actually linked against libc6:

piper:~/debian/packages/stage> ldd /sbin/init
  libc.so.6 => /lib/libc.so.6 (0x00002aaaaabc3000)

Why is runit statically linked?

> Me too. Or some equivalent which can use _names_ instead of numbers for
> the runlevel. Of course those names could simply be "1" "2" etc. by default.

let's not call it runlevels. Let's call it profiles. /me ducks.

--
 .''`.     martin f. krafft <madduck at debian.org>
`. `'`

Invalid/expired PGP (sub)keys? Use subkeys.pgp.net as keyserver!

"a warm bed in a house sounds a mite better
 than eating a hot dog on a stick
 with an old geezer traveling on a lawn mower."
                                -- alvin straight (the straight story)