invoke-rc.d issues (was Re: "minit" point of view)

Henrique de Moraes Holschuh hmh at debian.org
Fri Aug 26 23:46:20 UTC 2005

On Sat, 27 Aug 2005, Erich Schubert wrote:
> > How so?
>
> Non-standard init script actions.

If they're thruly non-standard, then why would anyone call invoke-rc.d with
them (*remember* that invoke-rc.d is for *PACKAGING* scripts *ONLY*.  Any
other uses of invoke-rc.d are *NOT* supported).

If they are standard to a particular initscript system, the invoke-rc.d of
that initscript system will know the action and do whatever it is supposed
to do with it.  And packages that call such an initscript action would have
to know what to do if it failed anyway (because they were not installed in a
system that is not using an initscript subsystem that supports that action).

> And not enough information for dependency handling - do dependant
> services need to be restarted, too? In many cases it's not needed,
> IMHO.

THAT kind of decision is made by the initscript subsystem itself and its
tools (e.g. its own implementation of need/provides).  invoke-rc.d is NOT TO
BE USED FOR SUCH.

Remember that a particular implementation of invoke-rc.d and update-rd.c is
particular to a given initscript subsystem.  If you change initscript
subsystems, you *ARE* to do change invoke-rc.d and update-rc.d as well.

> And if you want to have a "proper" dependency handling (I'm not sure
> of a real world case where I need that, but some people on the list
> were heavily complaining about needing that...) and want to do a
> rollback (i.e. stop dependant services), you also need to roll-forward
> again, starting them again. And you also need to be able to do that
> when you are sent a "stop", and a "start" later (which is not that
> uncommon for upgrades)
> I guess current runit can do these rollbacks, with this "want: up"
> notion it seems to have.

I don't follow you. What has that to do with invoke-rc.d per si?  If you
can't support roll-forward, then don't.  invoke-rc.d certainly does not
mandate that at all.

  Henrique Holschuh