"minit" point of view

Erich Schubert erich.schubert at gmail.com
Sat Aug 27 12:52:23 UTC 2005

Hi,
> > I'd have trouble actually defining what an execution thread is...
> In this context: a disjunct set of vertices in the dependency graph.
connected?

There are so many special cases. Don't even try to think of paths in
these graphs, they are likely to change too fast. And at multiple
places.

> aptitude's auto feature...

Yep, thats maybe the best way to handle it, still it might surprise
the user to have e.g. his webserver shut down, just because he stopped
phpmyadmin (ok, this is no daemon, but I hope you get the real
idea...)

> > > So what happens when the DNS service fails to start?
> >
> > The magically modified postfix server won't accept incoming
> > connections until the dns server replies, not losing any mail.
>
> Ah, but that's because postfix itself is smart.

Yes, but this is quite common, that you have such non-strict
dependencies. Actually that is the most common case. Bind probably
runs fine even when none of the network interfaces are up, won't it?

best regards,
Erich Schubert
--
    erich@(mucl.de|debian.org)      --      GPG Key ID: 4B3A135C    (o_
  To understand recursion you first need to understand recursion.   //\