"minit" point of view

a-aa a-aa at hollowtube.mine.nu
Sat Aug 27 13:46:17 UTC 2005

Erich Schubert wrote:

>Hi,
>

>>Well, if he requested the web server to be started anyway, this
>>should not happen. E.g. the service should only be marked automatic
>>when it was implicitly started.
>>

>Yes, *IF*. So we could need e.g. a log that explains what has happened and why.
>
>I really need to look at initng. It seems it can do a couple of things
>I've wanted for a long time. But it seems to be rather "fat", I'm not
>sure about its config file format.
>Anyone here who has actually tried it (and maybe even hacked at it)?
>What are the pros/cons of initng?

I've been one of the dev's for ages, and your right, it's a bit too fat,
and it's a bit too unstable because of it.  But it's run into a TON of
different problems and solved them, a ton of things that we had no idea
would be a problem.

Pro's:

Plugins, the system works pretty well.

We've solved a ton of things considered hard to do, such as showing
"nice" output even with parallel started services.

We've run into a ton of problems and solved them already, stuff we never
thought we'd run into originally.  Stuff some would argue should be
solved in the daemon itself not by init, but if you dont support a
system that'll allow some daemons to work through semi dirty hacks,
you'll eliminate a LOT of daemons unfortunatly.

Cons:

We've run into a ton of stuff that meant the code has to be changed, so
some of it should be cleaned up.

It's big, and some of the code has been changed pretty radically, as a
result of that it's probably a bit bigger than it should be, and we have
occasional segfaults because of it.