Designing a new init: configuration

Erich Schubert erich.schubert at gmail.com
Sun Aug 28 11:15:13 UTC 2005

Hi Martin,
> > 3. Daemontools / minit approach
> [...]
> > Drawbacks:
> > - nonstandard configuration
>
> that's not a problem. we can make it standard. :)

No, we cannot. Non-standard as in "almost no other application uses it".
Give me a list of other applications that use empty files for configuration.
Even when our init does use that, too (apart from this having issues
with diff, version management and such) - it won't become standard
that way.
Using shell scripts, ini-files, xml files - that is standard, not empty files.

best regards,
Erich Schubert
--
    erich@(mucl.de|debian.org)      --      GPG Key ID: 4B3A135C    (o_
  To understand recursion you first need to understand recursion.   //\