Ubuntu already improved their boot time

a-aa a-aa at hollowtube.mine.nu
Wed Aug 31 22:13:15 UTC 2005

Petter Reinholdtsen wrote:

>[a-aa]
>

>>Mine's in my svn tree, rough at best
>>https://hollowtube.mine.nu/svn/readaheadDaemon/trunk/
>>one daemon that uses inotify to scan for file access, and one that does
>>the actual readahead.
>>

>Any plans for getting it into debian?

No, to be honest, not really, I haven't tested it much at all.

>Does it speed up the boot
>process?  Any bootchart graphs to show to demonstrate the effect?

Unfortunatly I've only had the chance to test the new daemon in vmware,
which uses the kernel's io cache, so any numbers aren't worth anything.
And I've had far too much work to get any real testing done lately.

But hey, try it and let me know.