[Initscripts-ng-devel] Hello people.

Jimmy Wennlund debian-ng at jw.dyndns.org
Mon Jul 25 00:35:52 UTC 2005

Hello fellow debian developers.

It is nice to see that the debian people are planing on changing their
init-system.

I started a similar project called initng, and have written on it for
about year. It can be found at http://initng.thinktux.net

Making the changes that I have made and implementing the "need" concept
have made a big advantage in bootspeeds, however I have found out that
this is not the most important feature.

>From the first character I have written, I have been thinking
"extensions". It is really important that you can add new features as
plugins. This allows for many different things such as fancy bootsplash,
system tweaks, and special logging. This is what makes initng different
from other init-systems.

I also hope that my project will continue to increase in size. I also
wish that every debian developer will join me in making initng the best
init-system.

I therefore ask you to please join me in writing a distro-independent
next generation init-system instead of just forking my project and
working on your own init-system.

Regards // Jimmy Wennlund and The Next Generation Init Team