[Initscripts-ng-devel] Hello people.

Henrique de Moraes Holschuh hmh at debian.org
Mon Jul 25 01:29:34 UTC 2005

On Mon, 25 Jul 2005, Jimmy Wennlund wrote:
> Hello fellow debian developers.

Hello Jimmy,

> I started a similar project called initng, and have written on it for
> about year. It can be found at http://initng.thinktux.net

And it is a very cool thing.  Everyone involved in this ML should have a
look at it.

> I also hope that my project will continue to increase in size. I also
> wish that every debian developer will join me in making initng the best
> init-system.

Sure.

> I therefore ask you to please join me in writing a distro-independent
> next generation init-system instead of just forking my project and
> working on your own init-system.

We don't have any intention to fork init-ng.  In fact, Debian developers are
heavly encouraged to always contribute back anything they do to upstream.

This workgroup has actually two different jobs, one which is only pertinent
to Debian and other distributions, and just needs some input from
dependency-based initscript system developers (which is the interfaces used
to generalize the initscript subsystems, so that we can plug whichever
initscript subsystem we want), and the other is to implement that interface
in all initscript subsystems already in Debian *and* add a dependency-based
one.

init-ng might very well be the first proof-of-concept dependency-based
initscript subsystem to be packaged for Debian using the stuff we will plan
and design here.  There is absolutely no reason why we could not attempt to
write the necessary glue to do so in a way that best fits to init-ng, which
would be your plugin system apparently.  It is too early to worry about
that, however.

While I think it would be a nice idea to design a dependency-based system
from scratch, there is no reason why that would mean a fork of init-ng.
Heck, we would probably hit some nice ideas that you would like to
incorporate into init-ng, and you're welcome to do so...

In the end, the first deliverable of this workgroup will be good if, and
only if, it would allow whatever "perfect" (as if...) dep-based initscript
system we design AND init-ng AND runit to be packaged and work well with
Debian.

I really should sit down and write a few jumpstart mails, to make things
more clear.

  Henrique Holschuh