[Initscripts-ng-devel] Defining the workgroup objectives

Martin Braure de Calignon braurede at free.fr
Tue Jul 26 07:10:30 UTC 2005

Le mardi 26 juillet 2005 à 00:26 -0500, Matthew A. Nicholson a écrit :
> Sam Rowe wrote:
> > On Mon, Jul 25, 2005 at 04:12:44PM -0300, Otavio Salvador wrote:
> > # This problem isn't at scope IMHO. The current implementation of init
> > # system also don't  handle cross-machine issues.
> >
> > Right, I thought we were trying to write something better than the
> > current implementation and I know it's a problem a lot of people have,
> > so I thought it'd be a good thing to keep in mind, if not implement
> > from the get-go.
> >
> > -Sam
>
> So here is one way to deal with this.  Write an init script that detects
> the remote database.  Make the local service depend on your init script.
>   This way when your local script detects the db, the dep will be
> satisfied.  I do not think it is necessary to build this functionallity
> into the init system.  The method I have outlined here should be plenty.

Well, I don't know wether it is important or not, but there's something
missing in init script. There isn't a common way to set the nice
priority of process runned on init.
What do you think of a common way of doing this ?
(Of course, I currently modify the init scripts to do that, particulary
with start-stop-daemon when the init script uses it)

--
Martin Braure de Calignon