[Initscripts-ng-devel] Defining the workgroup objectives

Henrique de Moraes Holschuh hmh at debian.org
Tue Jul 26 09:48:06 UTC 2005

On Tue, 26 Jul 2005, martin f krafft wrote:
> init-ng can do it. It should just become a parameter; we should move
> away from the init script idea and instead provide configuration
> files similar to init-ng that specify common parameters. Think
> xinetd.

That won't work.  We need something that can be deployed, and you know how
Debian (and any other distro other than Ubuntu, I suppose) is about stuff
that requires an atomic change to a BIG bunch of packages.

Which doesn't mean we cannot have *both*, mind you.  As long as the
initscripts stay.  IMHO anyway.

The right way [in Debian] to do without any SysV-interface at all would be
to have a stub initscript that runs whatever commands the service so that
the local admin can stop/start/resume/whatever it.  i.e. invoke-rc.d
--force.

  Henrique Holschuh