[Initscripts-ng-devel] Defining the workgroup objectives

martin f krafft madduck at debian.org
Tue Jul 26 09:54:35 UTC 2005

also sprach Henrique de Moraes Holschuh <hmh at debian.org> [2005.07.26.1148 +0200]:
> Which doesn't mean we cannot have *both*, mind you.  As long as
> the initscripts stay.  IMHO anyway.
>
> The right way [in Debian] to do without any SysV-interface at all
> would be to have a stub initscript that runs whatever commands the
> service so that the local admin can stop/start/resume/whatever it.
> i.e. invoke-rc.d --force.

Or provide a compatibility layer in the new initscripts system: if
a new-style config file describes a service, use that. Otherwise try
the /etc/init.d script.

--
 .''`.     martin f. krafft <madduck at debian.org>
`. `'`

*** important disclaimer:
by sending an email to any address, that will eventually cause it to
end up in my inbox without much interaction, you are agreeing that:

  - i am by definition, "the intended recipient"
  - all information in the email is mine to do with as i see fit and
    make such financial profit, political mileage, or good joke as it
    lends itself to. in particular, i may quote it on usenet.
  - i may take the contents as representing the views of your company.
  - this overrides any disclaimer or statement of confidentiality that
    may be included on your message.