How packages should supply dependency information

Henrique de Moraes Holschuh hmh at debian.org
Tue Nov 8 02:16:59 UTC 2005

On Mon, 07 Nov 2005, Thomas Hood wrote:
> > No.  Please lets get rid of the kludges and fix update-rc.d while at it.
>
> Yes, but it is important that packages that get rebuilt continue to
> function as before until they are updated by their maintainers.
> That means that the "start" and "stop" arguments of update-rc.d must
> retain their meaning.

Of course.  We can actually add another -rc.d interface instead of
update-rc.d, and deprecate update-rc.d in the far future.

My vote is for register-rc.d, which is a far better idea of what the "new"
update-rc.d is about.

Whatever you do, remember that any "register-rc.d"-like interface **MUST**
be initscript-system agnostic, and so does any metadata provided by the
packages.  The register-rc.d *implementation* otoh would not be agnostic, it
would be tailored to the initscript installed in the system. Just like
invoke-rc.d and rc works.

This means runlevels would be at the very least [a-z][A-Z][0-9_-]+,
Debian-allowed runlevels (0, S, 1, 2 and 6) would be remmaped to labels like
what I described in the paper and debconf talks, etc.

> > Add an local admin mode, that stores parallel data in /etc, and packages are
> > not to use that.  Later, whichever tool needs something merges both sets,
> > with the /etc entries overriding the /usr ones.
>
> Well, if the "factory defaults" are going to be merged with local
> changes at run time then it would be best to put the former in /lib/
> and the latter in /etc/.

Since we don't have /share, I have to agree with you. /lib it is. I suggest
/lib/initscripts/<something>/* (so that we can have more stuff in other
initscripts/* directories).

> If we decide to put dependency configuration in the initscript itself (a la LSB)
> then a way of implementing the desired "factory default" files would be to hack
> dpkg so that it extracts the LSB header information out of pristine
> initscripts before considering whether or not to install them, and
> stores this header in a standard place such as /var/lib/dpkg/init-deps/NAME.

Forget it. No touching dpkg or apt or anything of the sort. If you need to
do it, you're doing something wrong.

  Henrique Holschuh