Improve boot process -- project update (SoC 2006)

Petter Reinholdtsen pere at hungry.com
Fri Aug 4 11:48:52 UTC 2006

[Carlos Villegas]
>  + The different hotspots have been tried together to test their
> effectiveness. To implement this, a script was created to try
> different combinations. The first hotspots tried were: Use dash, Use
> networking in background, use hwclock in background, reorder with
> insserv. The time reduction for this was the same as just using
> dash, that is, 4 seconds.  This may be due to the weird order
> obtained by using insserv which required some manual changes.

How strange.  How do other combinations like readahead, dash and
'shell' concurrency end up?

> + Tried again to put the network in the background but still I can't
> obtain any time improvement. The reason may be that ifup -a takes
> just a second in the computer (according to time ifup -a). On the
> other hand, bootchart marks that the process last 7 seconds.

I guess you have a very quick DHCP server.  No idea why bootchart
claim the process take 7 seconds.

Btw, I just discovered the 'quiet' boot option.  It is similar to
setting VERBOSE=no in /etc/default/rcS.  Can you check if it affect
boot speed?

Do you have an updated table with the time saved using the different
hotspots?

Friendly,
--
Petter Reinholdtsen