Testing LSB-compliance with Lintian

Petter Reinholdtsen pere at hungry.com
Fri Aug 18 21:45:12 UTC 2006

[Tim Dijkstra]
> Policy nowhere mandates LSB-compliance for init scripts or packages
> as a whole. AFAIK it only talks about being an LSB host system. All
> tests should be warnings IMHO.

My view on the need for LSB-type dependency information in init.d
scripts, is not to make them LSB compliant, nor to make them easy to
run in parallel.

The major advantage of adding such information into the init.d scripts
is that it make it possible find errors in the boot sequence.  I've
already found errors in it by using this dependency information, and I
suspect the only way we can keep the boot script sequence correct is
by using this dependency information when creating the rc*.d/
symlinks.

So, yes, you are right that none of the checks discover policy
violations, but they do make it easier to create a correct boot system
for Debian, and thus should be visible for as many as possible. :)

Friendly,
--
Petter Reinholdtsen