Ubuntu's upstart project

martin f krafft madduck at debian.org
Tue Aug 29 05:06:44 UTC 2006

also sprach paddy <paddy at panici.net> [2006.08.29.0512 +0200]:
> and (again my instinct is) as far as possible, debian should be
> looking to be init agnostic, not fall into the ghetto of
> a distro-specific implementation.

it's not distro-specific if others adopt it, and if upstart prove
worthy, I might well join Scott in its development (and so will
others). It came from Ubuntu, and Scott is certainly very focused on
Ubuntu, but he does seem like a reasonable guy. :) /me waves to
Scott.

> there are bigger fish to fry than usability or performance:
> clusters, embedded systems, security, stabilty, portability, etc

Any reasons why those cannot use init-as-is?

upstart will take a long while to make it into base. It needs
massive testing, but it's good to have it around to be able to do
so.

> it was the word 'default' what woke me up :-)

That didn't come from Debian, did it?

--
 .''`.     martin f. krafft <madduck at debian.org>
`. `'`

bush/cheney '04: the last vote you'll ever have to cast.