Ubuntu plans for init

Petter Reinholdtsen pere at hungry.com
Wed Feb 8 13:40:43 UTC 2006

[Thomas Hood]
> For information...
>
> On https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ReplacementInit, ManuLopezIbanez recently
> added this text:
>
>> You may wish to talk with Mandriva people about
>>   http://archives.mandrivalinux.com/cooker/2005-10/msg00256.php
>> prcsys/pinit. It is not as powerful as initng; however, it is
>> not such aggressive change and it may even go into Dapper and
>> definitely into Dapper+1.

Ah, very interesting.  I do not like initng because it do not use the
existing init.d-scripts, and pinit seem to use them. :)

But I'm not sure how pinit is different from the startpar/insserv
combination, aka reordering the boot using dependency info and running
all scripts in parallel while serializing the script output.  It seem
to be equivalent.  Insserv seem to be more complete when it comes to
parsing the LSB headers, and it does not require an extra flag to
enable parallel execution.

But it is great to see more users of the LSB dependency info.  I hope
we can get the remaining scripts in Debian to include such info soon.

As for Ubuntu, I have not figured out what their problem with sysvinit
is.  The current sysvinit in Debian can run thing in parallel with
serialized output if enabled in /etc/default/rcS.  No need to throw
out sysvinit to get that feature.