LSB-compliant init-scripts as release goal.

Gustavo Franco gustavorfranco at gmail.com
Sat Jul 8 19:26:26 UTC 2006

Hi,

Since Carlos' work is going well and considering that SELinux support
is still a "pet release goal"[0] and i don't think it will make the
release, we've a chance to push LSB-compliant init-scripts as a
release goal now.

Based on my current experience with the Python transition and policy
changes, my proposal is:

- Contact the release team with the proposal below

- Open bugs with patches if possible (Is it being done, right? Maybe
the patches needs some review, but it doesn't needs to be 100% before
going to the step 3)

- Raise the severity of the bugs from "wishlist" to "important" and
ask the release team for special NMU policy

- Start an wiki article, a "LSB-compliant init-scripts" dashboard.
There the maintainers can point out that they're working on their
packages and don't need NMU and stuff like that

- Define an IRC channel for contact during the transition

- Send an announcement to d-d-a

- Start NMU'ing the packages from maintainers in the LowThresholdNMU
and follow the special NMU policy defined with the release team (see
above)

After this, if we've time before the release, that would be good
change the init scripts policy and move left "important" bugs to
"serious" doing 0day NMUs to reach the goal.

Thoughts?

[0] = http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2006/05/msg00015.html

regards,
-- stratus