runit

Erich Schubert erich.schubert at gmail.com
Mon May 8 22:48:59 UTC 2006

Hi,
> All right.  What is the current status?  Have other people tried runit?  Has
> anybody found any shortcomings?

I tried runit like three years ago or so. But I decided on minit then.
I didn't like the runit approach of having one monitor process per
service, it makes ps output and such a lot bigger than necessary IMHO.
IIRC one of the big benefits of having pid 1 do the monitoring is that
pid 1 will also receive SIGCHLD for "detached" processes. Like apache.
So when apache terminates, pid 1 will immedeately know, whereas a
separate monitoring process has to poll.
(Note that other daemons, which can be configured to not detach, don't
need this)

best regards,
Erich Schubert
--
    erich@(mucl.de|debian.org)      --      GPG Key ID: 4B3A135C    (o_
  To understand recursion you first need to understand recursion.   //\