Init scripts for upstart

Marcus Better marcus at better.se
Wed Jul 11 10:31:16 UTC 2007

Hi,

I have hacked up some init scripts for upstart that I use on my laptop for a
few months now. They work quite nicely. They take care of the boot process
from start until local file systems are mounted (including cryptsetup and
LVM), and then plug into the compat-sysv scripts for the rest. Some scripts
now run in parallel.

With some cleanup they could be used to create a replacement for the sysv init
scripts in Debian, but I haven't actually packaged them yet. In addition to
upstart versions of the scripts from the initscripts package, there are
scripts for some daemons like udev.

This is nowhere near complete, and probably not immediately useful for others
in the current state, but I thought I'd just put them somewhere if someone
wants to build on them:

http://www.better.se/debian/upstart-initscripts/upstart-initscripts-20070709.tar.gz

The tarball contains basically a snapshot of my /etc/event.d directory, and it
contains the bits from upstart-compat-sysv (some modified), and some cruft as
well... Oh, and if you use them you must manually remove the obsoleted
scripts from /etc/rcS.d. YMMV...

Marcus