Sys-V-Init scripts from upstart files

Joachim Breitner nomeata at debian.org
Wed Jun 13 09:13:58 UTC 2007

Hi,

Am Mittwoch, den 13.06.2007, 03:20 +0200 schrieb Erich Schubert:
> Hello Joachim,
> Sorry that I didn't make it to DebConf.
>
> I was just wondering if we should really try to convert the upstart
> script into a sysvinit shell script, or if we can just write a small
> "sysv-invoke-upstart" helper application, and use a template sysvinit
> script for the applications which have upstart init files.
> (I'd have proposed to just create symlinks to the helper for the init
> scripts, but we should try to provide LSB-compatible headers in the
> generated files.)

We dropped the idea to use “real” upstart files as the base. Instead, we
designed our own, very simple, init description file from where we will
create upstart and sys-v-init scripts.

An example file that we were hacking on last evening is:
http://darcs.nomeata.de/metainit/examples/cron.metainit
Note that for dependencies, we use directly the LSB headers, and those
will also end up in the svs-v-init-script.

Greetings,
Joachim
--
Joachim "nomeata" Breitner