BoF Protocol

Joachim Breitner nomeata at debian.org
Wed Jun 13 09:16:48 UTC 2007

Hi,

Am Mittwoch, den 13.06.2007, 08:33 +0530 schrieb Joshua N Pritikin:
> On Tue, Jun 12, 2007 at 10:01:32PM +0200, Sven Mueller wrote:
> > Regarding the features that should be supported, while I agree that
> > "restart" can easily be done by stop+start, reload should be supported
> > wherever possible. Be it by specifying a signal (which probably needs a
> > way to find the actual daemon's PID if start is done by a short script
> > fragment)
>
> In my opinion, the most important advance that we can make from SysV
> style to something else is to avoiding daemonizing processes. If you
> don't daemonize then you always know the PID and start-stop-daemon can
> be retired.

Right. For metainit’ed deamons, we require them to be started
non-forking, and care about the forking and pid handling in the
generated init script. This is required anyways to support upstart and
others, so we decided to stick to it. Daemons that absolutely do not
want to be started this way need to be patched or write their own init
scripts...

Greetings,
Joachim

--