BoF Protocol

Rene Mayrhofer rene.mayrhofer at gibraltar.at
Wed Jun 13 09:43:42 UTC 2007

On Mittwoch, 13. Juni 2007 10:10, Joachim Breitner wrote:
> The idea is that we only want to support simple cases. Most daemons can
> be made reload their config by sending a SIGHUP or some other signal, so
> we agreed to cover that case. Daemons that have other ways of signalling
> a reload (rndc reload, apachectl graceful) are intentionally (at the
> moment) not covered, and they should just ship hand-crafted init scripts
> as before.
Please don't. "reload" is an important feature for systems in production
(stop+start just doesn't do it), and allowing shell one-liners to do the
service-specific reload in the meta-init format would allow one interface to
reload all services. Good for the admin, not too much complexity. And this
would, I expect, get rid of many hand-crafted scripts.

Rene

Gibraltar firewall       http://www.gibraltar.at/