Slashdot/IBM: How To Speed Up Linux Booting

Sven Mueller debian at incase.de
Wed May 2 16:42:13 UTC 2007

Andreas Mohr wrote on 11/04/2007 14:15:
> On Wed, Apr 11, 2007 at 02:02:30PM +0200, Marco d'Itri wrote:
>
>>It's probably not possibile anyway with complex ("interesting"... there
>>is no big need for half a dozen sysvinit clones) init systems like
>>upstart.
>
> I didn't follow the whole discussion, but I still want to second this.
> IMHO: there's too much legacy cruft in init systems, and things like sysvinit
> are an incredible PAIN on desktops, thus a very important part of
> init development is identifying the parts which *don't* make sense keeping
> during init system evolution.

Though I agree that we should clean up the init system while we enable
usage of newer, better, faster init systems, I don't think that we can
remove much yet. For a while to come, many system administrators (think
servers) will like to stay with the old faithful, long tested sysvinit.
So for now, we will need to support it. Especially if we want to stay
LSB compatible. So we will not be able to remove much as long as
sysvinit stays around.

That being said, a lot of cleanup could be done while we move to
script-generated (from meta-information, script snippets and templates)
init scripts. I actually think that it is possible to make
daemon/startup  handling much easier for maintainers even though they
are effectively supporting additional init systems.

Geez, wish I had more time to work on this kind of stuff.

regards,
Sven