Slashdot/IBM: How To Speed Up Linux Booting

Marco d'Itri md at Linux.IT
Wed May 2 16:56:49 UTC 2007

On May 02, Sven Mueller <debian at incase.de> wrote:

> Though I agree that we should clean up the init system while we enable
> usage of newer, better, faster init systems, I don't think that we can
> remove much yet. For a while to come, many system administrators (think
> servers) will like to stay with the old faithful, long tested sysvinit.
Do we need to care? Ubuntu switched to upstart and I have not noticed
anybody complaining.

> That being said, a lot of cleanup could be done while we move to
> script-generated (from meta-information, script snippets and templates)
> init scripts.
This would introduce a lot of complexity. Complexity is bad, and needs
to be weigthed about the benefits. What are the benefits of supporting
many init system schemes?
Is there a middle ground which allows a compromise?

--
ciao,
Marco