init script generators ( was: Re: proper handling of communication channels in debian)

Joachim Breitner nomeata at debian.org
Wed May 2 19:41:45 UTC 2007

Hi,

Am Mittwoch, den 02.05.2007, 19:37 +0200 schrieb Sven Mueller:
> For simplicity, I'm posting a cut and paste of my most recent blog entry
> on the topic here, but I currently don't have the time to put it on the
> wiki:
>
> http://blog.incase.de/index.php/2007/04/17/init-script-generators/

To keep the discussion on this list, I’m commenting here, not on your
blog.

I am all in favor for the general idea, so I feel free to talk about the
details :-)

I’d like to see a format that is Debian-typical, i.e. like debian
package descriptions (dunno the rfc number at the moment). Just to make
it easier and consistent with the rest, and maybe to re-use some tools

We also need to consider: Do we have to cover every strange case? Or can
we just use the (then simpler, more reliable) generated scripts for the
95% standard cases, and for the rest have the package provide the files
for each init scheme directly?

Nothing else to add about the rest at the moment.

Greetings,
Joachim

--
Joachim "nomeata" Breitner