init script generators ( was: Re: proper handling of communication channels in debian)

Erich Schubert erich.schubert at gmail.com
Fri May 4 16:22:40 UTC 2007

Hi,
> > Finally, even with all that information available inside a Debian
> > package, this would still leave one question unanswered: Who triggers
> > init script generation?
>
> dpkg-trigger (although not available yet) should fit this task.

The postinst of the package shipping the meta-init-script is more appropriate.
And since the meta-init needs to be added anyway, the postinst can be
updated at the same time. Just one more reason why we should start
with a good toolchain (e.g. adding an dh_installinit extension or
dh_installmetainit)

The overhead differences of simple/templates/dash need to be
evaluated. IIRC dash vs. bash made a noticeable difference, however
the difference between a runner that can only execute the simple (i.e.
no variables expansion) compared to one that can do variable
expansion, compared to dash might be a lot smaller.

best regards,
Erich Schubert
--
    erich@(mucl.de|debian.org)      --      GPG Key ID: 4B3A135C    (o_
  To understand recursion you first need to understand recursion.   //\