No subject

Sun May 13 13:41:23 UTC 2007

non-forking (i.e. foreground) approach. Some apps that don't work this
way that I'm aware of are apache and mysql.
(Mysql can be run in foreground though. There is just some odd
shell-wrapper around it that tries to make sure it restarts on a
crash... this isn't really needed with a better init system)

> It is not completely clear yet. Consensus was that the generated files
> are deleted when the daemon is removed (even when not purged). Other

This should be left to the package maintainers decision IMHO. I'd go
with on-removal by default, but there could be some services which
need to keep their data files around until purge maybe?

> cases have to be discussed. Especially the case of a daemon upgrading to
> a new version that does not use metainit any more, when the user has
> modified the metainit file :-)

In such a case, the maintainer should trigger a "update-init-scripts
--remove package" IMHO.

Two more things I'm missing from the BoF 'features' list:
- restart flag. Is the services meant to be respawned automatically.
Many init scripts are single-shot, such as hwclock.
- is-installed, is-enabled check or something similar. Many packages
currently use files in /etc/default where you can disable/enable the
service; and pretty much every init script checks if the executable
file is still available (because configfiles might remain; with
respawning init systems this can be very annoying...).

best regards,
Erich Schubert
--
    erich@(mucl.de|debian.org)      --      GPG Key ID: 4B3A135C    (o_
  To understand recursion you first need to understand recursion.   //\