readahead slows down boot

Alexander Heinlein alexander.heinlein at web.de
Wed Apr 2 09:50:52 UTC 2008

Hi.

Petter Reinholdtsen wrote:
>Perhaps it failed to stop when it should, and load all the files used when
>you log in addition to the files that is used during boot?  To test this
>theory, you could run one profile run, reboot, and then try to boot
>normally, without logging in after the profile run.

Profiling without logging in leads to the same results. Here is my /etc/boot
generated by readahead:
http://choerbaert.org/scy/pics/bootchart/readahead_etc_boot.txt

Even after removing gdm from the runlevel readahead still reads too much
from the hard disk:
http://choerbaert.org/scy/pics/bootchart/2.6.24.4_nox_normal.png
http://choerbaert.org/scy/pics/bootchart/2.6.24.4_nox_readahead.png
http://choerbaert.org/scy/pics/bootchart/readahead_etc_boot_nox.txt
(/etc/boot contains just some xfs stuff)

Maybe readahead has some problems with a particular init script.

Regards,
Alex

PS: Please CC me, I am not subscribed.