issues with insserv and /var in local encrypted lvm

Petter Reinholdtsen pere at hungry.com
Mon Apr 7 09:07:29 UTC 2008

[Jonas Meurer]
> But now I realized that both gpm and syslog-ng fail to stop at halt
> process, as /var is not available any longer when the init.d stop script
> is exececuted.

I suspect you are mistaken.  If the stop scripts report an error
during shutdown when stopped after sendsigs, it is probably because
the processes were already killed by sendsigs.

> Adding $remote_fs to the Required-Stop LSB headers and rerunning
> update-bootsystem-insserv fixes the issue, but I doubt that this is
> really the propper fix. According to
> http://wiki.debian.org/LSBInitScripts $local_fs is for init.d
> scripts which depend on /var being available, and $remote_fs is only
> for init.d scripts which depend on /usr being available.  Is this a
> documentation bug, or is the issue more complex?

The documentation is right, but do not mention that the scripts that
should stop before sendsigs need to have a stop dependency on
$remote_fs.

> If the former is the case, I'm happy to report bugreports against
> gpm and syslog-ng, asking for $remote_fs to be added to LSB
> Required-* headers.

As both gpm and syslog-ng is started in runlevel 2, which is after the
point in time during boot represented by $remote_fs, I suspect the
correct thing to do for both scripts are to depend on $remote_fs both
for start and stop.

Happy hacking,
--
Petter Reinholdtsen