Freeze exception for insserv 1.12.0-1?

Petter Reinholdtsen pere at hungry.com
Sat Aug 2 18:06:33 UTC 2008

It would be great if the recently uploaded insserv package, used to
enable the release goal of dependency based boot sequencing, would be
allowed to propagate into testing.  The list of changes seem large,
but it can be summarized very quickly:

 - Upstream merged all our patches to make a new upstream version and
   also fixed several Debian bugs in the process.

 - We extended the test suite to check more edge cases to make sure
   the new version handle everything it handled before, as well as
   properly handling issues we have discovered since the last release.

There is one new bug that make me unsure, #493202 about insserv
segfaulting for a user and the self test fail, but as the self test
worked both for us Debian maintainers, and for the autobuilders, I
have a hard time figuring out how it could be a bug in insserv.  As
can be seen from the BTS report, I am starting to suspect hardware
failure, but it is yet to be determined.  I hope we will figure out
what is going on before the 10 day unstable resting time of insserv is
finished.

Anyway, this is just a heads-up to the release team, to let you know
that if the problem reported in #493202 isn't a code error in insserv,
I would love to see a freeze exception for insserv version 1.12.0-1,
the best insserv release ever.  :)

Here is the changelog:

insserv (1.12.0-1) unstable; urgency=low

  [ Kel Modderman ]
  * New upstream version.
    - preserve empty runlevel configurations, override adding or removoval of
      existing start/top runlevel configration (Closes: #477415, #492526)
  * Discard patches applied to or no longer relevant to new upstream:
    - 11_more_warnings.dpatch
    - 32_debug_option.dpatch
    - 33_nosuse_scripts.dpatch
    - 40_segfault_virtprov.dpatch
    - 41_cleansystem.dpatch
    - 42_loopnochangemsg.dpatch
    - 50_sign_warning.dpatch
    - 51_overwrite_output.dpatch
    - 52_shutdown_links.dpatch
    - 60_disable_cfgfilter_stat.dpatch
    - 62_warn_on_missing_required_fields.dpatch
    - 63_warn_on_missing_default_fields.dpatch
    - 64_missing_default_fields_fallback.dpatch
  * Discard patches not applied in series:
    - 32_debug_option.dpatch
    - 34_debian_fixedscripts.dpatch
  * Refresh patches that still apply to new upstream:
    - 10_nosuse.dpatch
    - 31_debian_conf.dpatch
  * Add an extra call to list_rclinks() in test_newbug_keepoldorder()
    function of run-testsuite, after introducing the bug.
  * Make test_adding_start() and test_adding_stop() run-testsuite
    functions unconditionally fatal on failure.
  * Make test_bogus_facility() run-testsuite function non-fatal.
  * Mark tests that are currently failing with a comment in run-testsuite.
  * Add test_removing_start() and test_removing_stop() to run-testsuite,
    showing that insserv will preserve existing links when script header is
    unproperly replaced with empty Default-Start or Default-Stop.
  * Make test_adding_start() case a more realistic example.
  * Make test_incorrect_stopscripts() a fatal test, insserv should not
    add shutdown links when none are present.
  * Make test_newbug_keepoldorder() test case non-fatal, the fact that it
    passed before was not by design but by luck, as per upstream analysis
    which is included with test code.
  * Handle CFLAGS in debian/rules more consistently, different options were
    passed to make in build and install targets, and dpkg now also tampers
    with the variable.
  * Remove a bunch of overrides for scripts now with valid LSB information in
    testing distribution today, or have been removed from archive.
  * Add common test suite function for purging init directory, runlevel links
    and dependency makefiles.
  * Add test_incorrect_startscripts() to replicate bug report described in
    #492526, and make sure insserv do not regress in this behaviour.
  * Now we have no overrides to install by default, but we may in future,
    modify debian/rules to only install overrides from ./debian/overrides/* if
    they are present, but not fail otherwise.
  * Add test_initd_symlink() test suite function to test if illegal
    symlinks in /etc/init.d/ cause problems.
  * Bump Standards Version to 3.8.0, add debian/README.source to describe patch
    system to conform. No other changes required.
  * Add myself to Uploaders.
  * Rename 31_debian_conf.dpatch to 11_debian_conf.dpatch, to keep
    Debian port patches in tight sequence.

  [ Petter Reinholdtsen ]
  * Mention initcycle tool from Adam Jensen in README.Debian.
  * Adjust test_initd_symlink test to accept the first insertion
    and reject the second, as both scripts have the same provide.

 -- Petter Reinholdtsen <pere at debian.org>  Wed, 30 Jul 2008 18:18:00 +0200

Happy hacking,
--
Petter Reinholdtsen