Feedback for readahead

Petter Reinholdtsen pere at hungry.com
Mon Jan 14 19:50:16 UTC 2008

[Wolf Wiegand]
> - Adding 'profile' to the kernel command line would not initiate the
>   readahead profiling process, as /proc/ does not seem to be mounted at
>   the moment the readahead scripts are running. The error message "grep:
>   /proc/cmdline: No such file or directory" was printed on the screen.
>   To workaround this for once, I modified the init script to run the
>   profiling process anyway, rebooted, and undid these changes. Is
>   readahead supposed to only work with an initial ramdisk?

Aha, so that is the reason why /proc/ isn't mounted.  The correct fix
is to move the script after S02mountkernfs, to make sure it is running
after /proc/ is mounted.  Please report the issue to BTS to make sure
I do not forget it in the next update of the package.

> - readahead improved the time needed for booting (from hitting
>   'enter' on the grub command line to gdm appearing) from about 58 sec
>   to 53 sec.

Great to hear. :)

Happy hacking,
--