Feedback for readahead

Petter Reinholdtsen pere at hungry.com
Wed Jan 16 21:27:08 UTC 2008

[Armin Berres]
> Seems as if I was mistaken. I removed the files from /etc/readahead/
> and created an empty /etc/readahead/boot. After booting this file
> was empty and I discovered, that readahead-watch was still
> running. What I found out so far, is that no PID-file is availlable
> in /var/run/ and readahead-watch isn't terminated therefore.

Hm, strange.  Sound like a bug somewhere.  Perhaps it assume /var/run/
is writable very early in the boot, while in reality it isn't.

I have no idea why it work for me and not for you.

> When I start and stop readahead from a console it works.  I have
> /boot/ on a seperate partition and / (with /usr/ and /var/ on the
> same partition) is on LVM. Could this be the problem?

Nope.  /boot/ is not used when deciding how readahead should work.

> I just retried with a recreated /etc/readahead/boot (I killed
> readahead-watch by hand), but I didn't see an improvement.  BTW,
> what does readahead-watch do, while "Preparing to profile boot
> sequence..."? I wonder why this takes between one or two minutes.

If I understand it correctly, it hooks into the inotify kernel feature
and record every file opened while it is running.  The list of files
is then dumped into /etc/readahead/.

Happy hacking,
--
Petter Reinholdtsen