Slow shutdown in dependency-based boot system

Sven Joachim svenjoac at gmx.de
Mon Jul 14 18:35:00 UTC 2008

Ten days ago I installed the insserv package and enabled dependency
based booting.  While this works quite well, the shutdown of the system
has slowed down noticeably, the main reason being that sendsigs now takes
six seconds to terminate the remaining processes while it previously
finished in one or two seconds.

Here are the contents of /etc/rc0.d:

,----
| K02xdm
| K03anacron
| K03atd
| K03cron
| K03dictd
| K03gpm
| K03lpd
| K03openbsd-inetd
| K03postfix
| K03rsync
| K03xfs
| K04alsa-utils
| K04nfs-kernel-server
| K04rsyslog
| K04timidity
| K04wpa-ifupdown
| K05sendsigs
| K06umountnfs.sh
| K07nfs-common
| K08portmap
| K09networking
| K10ifupdown
| K11hwclock.sh
| K11urandom
| K12mountoverflowtmp
| K21umountfs
| K22umountroot
| K23halt
| README
`----

And so it had looked before the insserv installation:

,----
| K01xdm
| K11cron
| K20dictd
| K20gpm
| K20lpd
| K20nfs-common
| K20nvidia-glx
| K20nvidia-kernel
| K20openbsd-inetd
| K20postfix
| K20rsync
| K20xfs
| K25hwclock.sh
| K50alsa-utils
| K63mountoverflowtmp
| K75hdparm
| K80nfs-kernel-server
| K89atd
| K89klogd
| K90sysklogd
| K99timidity
| README
| S15wpa-ifupdown
| S20sendsigs
| S30urandom
| S31umountnfs.sh
| S32portmap
| S35networking
| S40umountfs
| S60umountroot
| S90halt
`----

Any idea who could be the culprit?  I see that K10ifupdown and
K12mountoverflowtmp are new, while K07nfs-common and K11hwclock.sh had
been run before sendsigs in the old system.

Regards,
        Sven